Monday, March 7, 2011

Shirley Ber... My precious Mama-in-Love...

Loren and I spent last week in Demotte, IN with his brothers and his mama.  Shirley went into inpatient at the Hospice Center in Crown Point a few days before we arrived.  It was her decision to go there.  Before that Terrence and his wife Stefanie had been caring for her in their home.

Loren and I were able get there in time to speak with her, she knew who we were and that we had come up from Oklahoma to see her.  She tried as best as she could to communicate with us.  You could still see and hear sparks of the old Shirley in her words and in her eyes, but her poor little body was so frail and weak.  We watched as daily she got weaker and weaker till on the last day we were there she was refusing food and almost all liquids.  All of us prayed with her each day that we are there and she responded to our prayers with lifted hands.  She does love her Lord so very much.

When we were alone in the room I told her what a good job she had done raising her boys and what great men they have all turned out to be, she teared up and she nodded.  I told her she had been a good mother and that her sons and daughter's-in-love all loved her greatly and she said "Thank You".  Even now she is so polite and considerate.
Up until the last day we were there (Friday, March 4) she would open her eyes and make eye contact with people, esp when she heard us talking in the room.  On the last day we were there she keep her eyes closed the whole time.  It was very hard for us to tell her good-bye and when I told her we were headed back to Oklahoma she began to cry.  I had to wipe tears from her eyes.  I quickly calmed her down and told her we would be back soon.  Loren and Terrence and I prayed over her and anointed her with oil.  After that we headed for home.  My strong quiet husband is hurting so much, I pray for God to comfort him.

I have been in touch with Hospice Care everyday since we have been home.  I call them in the morning when I get up and in the evening before bed.  They are telling me that she is diminishing a great deal now.  The last two nights they have found her in her room laying there with her arms stretched out toward heaven and looking up.  She says things like, "Are you ready for me now?", "Is it my turn to come?", and "Don't cry for me".  I believe she is ready to go and is just waiting on the call from her Beloved Master.  This morning they told me they expect her to transition within the next 72 hours.
I cannot be sad for her, but my heart is breaking for the rest of us who will have to endure our time here on the earth without her.  She will leave such a huge hole in our family and we will all miss her so much.  I could not have asked for a more loving and kind mother-in-love.  I will miss her.

I pray Dear Jesus, comfort us in our loss but keep us ever mindful of that day in glory when we will be reunited with our mom.  Holy Spirit guide her on her way and make Your presence large in her now so she will not feel alone during these final hours on earth.  Thank you Jesus for loving us so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment